Monday, December 28, 2009

The Tunnel, Revisited

Being the end of the year, I've thinking back of what I would have liked to have done this past year.  Loving the Tunnel as much as I do, I would like to document the changes throughout the year.  So, I decided (loftily, albeit) that I should take a picture either entering or leaving the Tunnel each Sunday that I go to Oak Mountain.  I was on my way to the Park this past Sunday and got to the turn in the tunnel and noticed 3 HUGE BULLDOZERS!  They were sitting about 30 or so yards from the road up on the hill and were surrounded by downed trees.  "WHAT ARE YOU DOING????"  I heard myself yell.  I couldn't believe it.  The trees are coming down.  What could possibly be going on?  My shift supervisor at the Center theorizes that there could be apartments in the Tunnel's future.  This, however, would mean grading the hill way down and even widening the cozy 2-lane.  My heart broke.  I have no problems trimming trees and shrubbery from the road side to keep things safe and visible, but apartments?  Really?  I'm further befuddled because I thought this land belonged to the State Park.  Mostly because there are "STATE PARK LAND" signs affixed to several trees on both sides of the Tunnel. 

I still plan to try to take my pictures.  Hopefully, enough people will be as enlivened as I am and we can stop whatever development this is to become, and enjoy the Tunnel that much longer.  Or, I can watch as one of my favorite places is destroyed and document more of Shelby County's "progress".

:(

No comments: